Thread: Which laptop?
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2005
Sand Dweller

neither of those will play wow very smoothly. it will be playable but not 100% smooth.

i play on my laptop and even it struggles. my specs are:
1.5ghz pent M
512MB pc3200
40gb 5400rpm hd
radeon 9700 mobile

problem #1 is the vcards. laptop vcards are realy crippled. my 9700 is about as powerful as maybe a low end desketop 9500np.

problem #2 is hd's. the dell would be fine with the 7200rpm drive but the HP would would have a big bottleneck with that 5400rpm drive.

problem #3 is ram. 512MB just does not cut it for any modern games. upgrading to 1gb is highly recommended

now that said i do play everything on my laptop from cs:s, doom3, WoW and anything else i cann fit. and it will play everything but i usually have to turn all video settings to almost as low as theyn will go.

the cpu's won't make much difference. the a64 is technically better for games but since it is a laptop cpu and not a desktop it is much difference other then power consumption which the pentium m will be better for. the pentium m is plenty strong for all tasks. don't let the low ghz scare you i was happily suprised just how powerful these chips are.

hope that helps you make your decision.