Calendar Member List FAQ
PD Gaming

Today's Posts | New Posts  
PD Gaming > Just About Anything > Support Requests » HL2 offline mode.....Help!

Old 04-10-2005
Sand Dweller

Send a message via AIM to iOxErapH
Unhappy HL2 offline mode.....Help!

The day before yesterday I bought a copy of HL2, i went on to install it on my p4 1.8ghz computer with 1 gig of ram and a radeon 9600 XT graphics card, the installation itself was like 25 minutes more or less but steam installation and update was a ROYAL PAIN IN THE @@S! i am one of the unfortunate people to still have dial up internet service, and it took steam 2 HOURS to update itself and HL2, finally it finished by 12:30 a.m. (started installation at 10:00 p.m.)....f i finally got HL2's cd key registered and 100% updated, and it says it's ready to play in offline mode, BUT NO! steam will not let me start HL2 in offline mode whenever i am not connected to the internet i start up steam and it gives me this message on this screenshot: i did checked the "remember password" and have unchecked the "don't save account information on this computer", i even uninstalled steam and downloaded the steam installer.....but it still gives me that message....and i don't see anywere the "log out" option or something like that in steam, i've also looked on the steam support page that if you start up steam and you press cancel when it's connecting to the server, that it'll give you the choice to go offline but whenever i attempt that...steam just quits....i am really puzzled..... i would really.....really....really appreciate some suggestions you guys may have.........

Last edited by iOxErapH : 04-10-2005 at 11:10 PM.
Old 04-11-2005

Send a message via ICQ to Liggy Send a message via AIM to Liggy

eh, nevermind, late and I didn't notice the rest of the text at the bottom
Old 04-12-2005
Civilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iOxErapH
The day before yesterday I bought a copy of HL2, i went on to install it on my p4 1.8ghz computer with 1 gig of ram and a radeon 9600 XT graphics card
You're gonna try playing it on a P4 1.8???

You'll be lucky if you get 30fps on the lowest res and settings.

As far as the other part, can't say i've ever had that problem with it.
Old 04-12-2005

Send a message via ICQ to Liggy Send a message via AIM to Liggy

why not? I did it with a 1.4ghz and still played online too!
Old 04-12-2005
Sand Dweller

Send a message via AIM to iOxErapH
Default yeah....ummmmm......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw
You're gonna try playing it on a P4 1.8???

You'll be lucky if you get 30fps on the lowest res and settings.

As far as the other part, can't say i've ever had that problem with it.

Well believe it or not Retlaw I play HL2 at 1024x768 at High Detail settings on my 1.8 ghz, radeon 9600XT card at a very comfortable 50+fps, that's most of the time actually....during heavy gunfire it would go down to 20 fps or so.....anyways......i am still having that problem of steam not giving me the option to go into offline mode when i am not connected, i would uninstall HL2 and steam but i don't want to spend 3 hours installing it and updating it again.....so i have settled on a solution that is working kind of well, i just basically connect to the internet, start up steam, have steam log me on, and after that disconnect from the internet, and start up HL2......it works awesomely, steam only gives me an error message saying that the connection was lost or something, but it still plays HL2 fine......
Old 04-13-2005
Sand Dweller

Half Life 2 is a very well built scalable game. it will run on some realy low specced machines.

my roomate runs HL2 on a 1ghz athlon with 384mb of pc133 and a geforce 4 ti4200 and it plays perfectly fine.

if i recal correctly hl2 will even play on a geforce 2 with all settings on low.
Old 04-14-2005
Sand Dweller

Send a message via AIM to Semper Fi

Yea I can get a comfortable 70-80 fps ingame with my p4 1.6 and 9600xt (with all on the lowest settings). Even in heavy gunfire my framerate doesnt get lower than 45-50 fps. Load times are a bit long however but thats the only thing. When i get my new computer I wont have to worry about any of that even on highest settings.